Jan 20, 2009

Enough to make a moon-eyed man go blind

Well it has been 16 days, by my count, since the new semester began and I am still not entirely sure how I feel about that.

I chalked it all up to a little too much time spent resting on my laurels and not enough hitting the books; except all I did while resting on said laurels was read. New courses and new challenges presented themselves and I took the information in but just filed it away for later, when my mind could actually comprehend the situation in its entirety... and I am still waiting.

Beats, ADAs, grammar and golden oldies like civ lit quizs and writing assignments piled up like cord wood, nearly gave myself a coronary trying to schedule it all in outlook express and my computer is worse for the wear, thanks a bunch Mr. Gates. Here I am trying to force all this information into a shape I can understand, and more importantly into a manageable plan of attack, but it seems scheduling is the least of my worries. Right now the choice to avoid interviews of any kind last semester seems ill-advised if not a bit negligent on my part, but then again it's not like I was ignoring a fundamental of the trade...oh, wait...crap.

It is a bizarre and unique head-space to be in when you have managed to exceed most every expectation you had in the short span of a few months only to be brought crashing back to earth by an even greater set of challenges. Perhaps I am too new to this whole success thing, I was a mediocre student my whole life and frankly never really had the wherewithal to apply myself to anything. It seems logical in a twisted way that being realistic and setting your sights low can be less stressful and in an equally twisted way rewarding when you hit higher than your current aim.

Since Friday I have explored every option my mind could come up with, to the detriment of my schoolwork and a big chunk of my school time this week has been eaten up by further exploring the options I have pondered... somewhere in there I hope I can find time to get back on the ball.

2 comments:

bill samuel said...

Hang in there big fella! you are not alone in finding yourself overwelmed with the new work load and its implications.

I'm dieing out here with grammar and page editting, yet I'm sure that I'm made of tougher mettle. Will I have to except a downward shift in my average? Yes. Is it important? Not really, just a blib on the radar big fella.

All I can say is that your going to have to do the same thing that I'm going to have to do and suck it up and find a way through it.

lefty74 said...

I think we all have encountered issues with workload, scheduling, and questions about our career path this semester. That said, I am proud of the job everybody has done in overcoming their self-doubts, budgeting their time, and thriving under tight deadlines.

I expect the overall grades to be significantly lower this term ,but I think that was to be expected. I myself realized early in the term that expecting to pull 90's across the board for four semesters might be a bit unrealistic. Better to work hard, earn good grades, and do your best work, than to work yourself into oblivion chasing grades that may no longer be attainable.

On the interviewing front, I have had a couple tough interviews this semester, where I didn't get my questions across the way I wanted to, but it does get easier. I find myself quite relaxed in most interview situations after the initial breaking of the ice.

You have a lot of potential as a writer, and reporter. If you can harness this issue with interviewing (and I think it is something you are capable of overcoming quickly), you could become a very key cog not only in next year's Pioneer, but in the industry itself down the road.

As Bill alluded to, keep your chin up, big guy! You have done great work thus far on the Pioneer. This week's issue is one that I am proud to show to personal friends, family, and friends in media circles. Excellent work.